In terms of Electronic and electrical architecture, we have said a lot about the concept of the Volkswagen MEB platform. But how other car companies, and even Volkswagen’s Premium brand, take a step forward in the MEB architecture, this topic is worth tracking and discussing, whether it is EE architecture, software from suppliers to itself, OS systems and around the cockpit, How to differentiate the two large blocks of autonomous driving is actually not only the public’s exploration.
01 The driving elements of the EE architecture of each car company
Since the EE architecture currently carries too many things, at present, the specific architecture diagram of car companies is not as casually marked in the maintenance manual as before. We can only pass some summaries of the partners of car companies in the industry technology workshop for a large amount of information. Only one or two can be speculated. As shown in the figure below, we cannot see the specific architecture diagram, but we can see some basic information from it. In this picture, Infineon divides these architectures into Domain Control, Domain Control, Zone Architecture and Car Computer. The main reason for departure is not as ambitious as Volkswagen, but the bottom line of car companies is:
1) Add the functions of ADAS and autonomous driving: This is now an indispensable factor for some Geek owners to evaluate whether their flagship models have a sense of technology. This is the luxury brand Daimler, Audi, and Volvo that must implement this function. , and the same function as the previous distributed grapes was broken into grape cakes through hardware integration. Directly related to this is the collection of data. Autonomous driving and entertainment have a large amount of data, including a lot of environmental and privacy data, which brings the need for encryption and security.
2) At the same time, the functions in the cockpit and the whole vehicle, including various intelligent configurations of the vehicle, are converted from the original building blocks accumulation to the combination of software, and the subsequent development cycle is shortened. It is also hoped that it can be similar to partial opening, and then OTA. The most important one is to reduce the overall cost in the development process in the direction of intelligence, which is the ultimate goal of car companies’ investment.
Figure 1 The driving force and classification of car companies to do architecture evolution
Remarks: These pictures are really not clear, I have zoomed in on the pixels, just a few
02 Time point of EE architecture implementation
The time point of implementation and the actual paths of the above different car companies are divided into different timelines, this table of Infineon is still very valuable:
1) Current architecture: Up to now, the most thorough distributed architecture is the architecture represented by MQB, and the earlier Domain Controller used is the integration of BCM+Gateway represented by BMW, which almost represents the current mass-selling type. The current state of car and luxury car companies
2) 2023/2024 (actually, 2021): This Domain integration is actually the structure of MEB, and the implementation time will be put into mass production in 2020. During this time, different luxury car companies are working hard to integrate existing products. Integrate the architecture and different requirements, and evolve to the Zone conversion path
3) 2025/2026 (actually in 2023): This is a very important node. In the next generation, due to the high computing power of the chip, the approach of three domain controllers gradually evolves into a converged Car Computer. Called Hybrid zone low and Hybrid zone low, the difference is the organization and arrangement of smart sensors, actuators and other small functional ECUs outside of Car Computer
4) 2028/2029 (actually earlier in 2025): At this time, the real Car Computer, a unified in-vehicle server is born, and all the important software is fully integrated into it. I think this time point is based on the Leading platform and a lot of intervention There is a 2-3 year difference in our lives, but strictly speaking, we have seen that European and Asian car companies have spent a lot of resources in preparing for this.
Figure 2 The choice of different car companies for different architectures
In a Bosch document, this time point and difference ranking are clearer, as shown in the figure below. The MEB will be mass-produced in 2019, and the follow-up BMW, Daimler and Volvo are all in the back. Of course, mass-selling car companies are slower to do it. This difference is mainly due to the difference in the introduction of different domain controllers.
Figure 3 Mass production time of different car companies
Summary: I think different car companies have different views on the urgency of the evolution of the EE architecture. There are not many as resolute as Volkswagen, but it does not mean that other car companies are not working hard and evolving in this direction.